Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living; very savory and spicy. Love it.
Top Review by flamingice
I made quite a few substitutions to this as my British supermarket lacked a few of the ingredients: I used spanish Choritzo sausage, sunflower oil instead of peanut oil, bacon instead of ham, pureed tomatoes instead of cajun style tomatoes and chicken stock instead of chicken broth. But I kept to all the specified quantities (apart from when my dad kept adding extra tabasco behind my back!) I cooked it all in a large wok. It was just the right spiciness and it was very savoury. My boyfriend absolutely loved it and keeps asking me to make it again! Thanks for posting this :)
- 1 lb andouille sausages or 1 lb Cajun-style sausage
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cajun-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot sauce (I use Tabasco, add to taste)
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut sausage into 1/2-inch pieces; cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cook sausage in oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until browned.
- Add chicken, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in ham, and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Remove meat mixture, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in Dutch oven.
- Return meat mixture to Dutch oven; stir in Cajun seasoning and next 5 ingredients.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in chicken broth and remaining ingredients; cook, stirring constanly, 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.