Recipe by Sharlene~W
This winning recipe (combined with Bada Bing Betty's Tuscan Portobello Melt (Grilled Cheese)) was Betty Fraser's entry for the Top Chef episode where the competitors had to present a "comfort food". The soup and sandwich combo will become a featured item on TGI Friday's menu. The judges raved about the and I know why. Delicious!
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 (40 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar (mentioned in video on website, but not included in written recipe)
- 2 cups heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast bell peppers over a gas flame, tending carefully and turning to blacken all sides. When completely roasted, place in heatproof bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove from bowl and remove skin, seeds and stems.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add carrots, celery and red onion. Cook over medium high heat until vegetables are beginning to soften. Add roasted peppers, tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar. Stir well to combine. Cook until tomatoes are beginning to break down.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until mixture has reached a smooth consistency.
- Add heavy cream and mix until well combined.
- Serve warm.