Recipe by Tee Lee
This delicious soup is a great way to use up leftover smoked turkey from Thanksgiving. Freezes well. Prep time does not include time to soak beans.
Top Review by Three Kids Make Me Crazy
I made this with chicken instead of turkey because it's what I had on hand, plus we added some no-yolk egg noodles. Someone gave me a bag of 15-bean mix and I had no idea what to do with it (we eat tons of beans, but not like that), and this seemed way better than the traditional soups. I don't know how the traditional is, but I really liked this, and the kids who often complain about soup ate two huge bowls each, and asked for a third! Thanks!
- 2 -3 cups smoked turkey, shredded
- 1 (1 lb) bag 15 bean mix (dried beans)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 small onions, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 quarts chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Place dry beans into a large pot, cover with 2 quarts of water and soak overnight (or at least 8 hours). After soaking, drain water.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and saute 5-10 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic, rosemary, sage, bay leaves, chili powder and pepper to the vegetables during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Layer the ingredients in CrockPot: add beans, top with turkey, add sauteed vegetables and spices, and finally add the broth.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.