Recipe by Bergy
I like these at Christmas time because of the red, green colors. (they are good anytime tho) Relatively low cal . for the festive season
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 2⁄3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup smoked salmon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 32 slices pumpernickel rounds
- 1⁄4 cup red caviar
- parsley (to garnish) or dill sprigs (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- With a vegetable peeler remove and discard a long strip of the green outer peel.
- On the same side continue to pare long thin strips edged in dark green until you reach the seedy portion (You should get about 3 strips). Rotate the cuke a quarter turn and continue paring.
- You will need 3 dozen strips Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and add strips and blanch for 5 SECONDS Refresh in cold water and dry on paper towels.
- Blend together the cream cheese, smoked salmon and horseradish.
- (You can do the strips and mix the salmon/ cheese the day before you are serving, store in the fridge) Shortly before serving spread the cheese/salmon mixture on the pumpernickel rounds, Drape a cuke strips on each and top with a small dollop of caviar.
- Garnish the serving platter with parsley or dill.