Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Blinis are small pancakes of Russian origin and are an easy-to-make appetizer! Preparation time does not include time needed for batter to rise!
- In large bowl, mix together buckwheat & all-purpose flour with salt.
- Sprinkle in yeast & mix well.
- Separate yolk & white of ONE egg, then set white aside, reserved.
- Whisk together remaining whole egg AND yolk of first egg, along with warm milk & 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Pour egg mixture onto flour mixture & beat well to form smooth batter. Cover with plastic wrap & let rise in warm place 1-2 hours.
- In large bowl, whisk reserved egg white until stiff peaks form, then gently fold into batter.
- Preheat heavy-bottom frying pan or griddle & brush with melted butter.
- Drop tablespoons of batter onto pan, spacing well apart, & cook about 40 seconds, until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Flip over the blinis & cook for 30 seconds on other side.
- Wrap blinis in foil & keep warm in low-temperature oven. Repeat with remaining mixture, buttering pan each time.
- Combine creme fraiche & dill.
- Serve blinis topped with salmon & dollop of cream.
I love smoked salmon, and these were just delicious, thankyou! Made this for ZWT4 for the Chic Chefs.
Wonderful little mouthfuls. The blini were feathery-light. The topping sublime.