Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Soup
- Ready In:
8 8-10 oz servings
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions (yellow or white variety, finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed & finely minced)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning (more as desired)
- 2 medium tomatoes (ripe, seeded & chopped)
- 8 ounces smoked salmon (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups fresh spinach (10 oz pkg, stems removed & leaves finely chopped)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup vodka
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- snipped fresh chives (optional garnish)
- Melt butter in med-size stock pot over med heat. Add onion + garlic & saute till onions are soft, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in dill, Old Bay Seasoning, tomatoes & smoked salmon. Cook 3 minutes. Then add flour & cook 1 min more.
- Gradually stir in water & heat to a soft boil. Reduce heat & simmer uncovered over med-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in spinach & simmer 5 more minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese (1 oz at a time) over low heat, allowing ea bit to melt into the soup.
- When all the cream cheese has been added & the soup is smooth, stir in the vodka & lemon juice. Taste for seasonings & serve immediately.
- NOTES: I entered this recipe as given to me & made a half recipe w/2 chgs in my trial version.
- I left out the vodka (none in the house!), subbed dry white wine & frankly doubt I will ever use the vodka. I pd homage to a DH pers pref & subbed diced broccoli florets for the spinach. I pd homage to 1 of my own by adding 4 oz baby shrimp.
- Pers pref are often at the heart of any success a recipe enjoys. I found this soup in need of salt, but DH did not. He found the lemon juice a bit excessive, but I did not. Bottom line is tasting for your pers pref is advised.
Join The Conversation
Wow - we just loved this soup. I made this exactly as posted, except I used a 15 oz. can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes in place of the fresh tomatoes. I did use the vodka and I stirred the chives into the soup. I thought the amount of lemon juice was just perfect, but I did add some freshly ground sea salt for flavor. Made by a Tasty Tester for the ZWT9 Scandinavian Seafood Challenge.
This is fantastic...I wasn't sure how it would come out but we really liked it. We had a bit of trouble getting the cream cheese to incorporate into the soup, next time I might get the whipped cream cheese instead of the bricks. I also used low fat cream cheese to take away some fat. Rather than water I used all chicken broth for the liquid. Made for ZWT #9!
Delicious! I changed the recipe slightly to add a bit more richness by making the broth from 3 cups of skim milk and 3 cups of water rather than the 6 cups of water the recipe asked for. Soup turned out remarkably light still, but with a good creamy texture. The Old Bay I had on hand had blackening seasonings in it, but still tasted very good. I also used 1/2 cup of dill rather than 3/4. Big hit with everyone in the house. Will definitely make again!