Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 3 medium onions, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large russet potato
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and minced fine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 cups fresh corn or 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 canned chipotle chile in adobo, minced fine (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 lb smoked chicken breast, skin and fat removed and meat cut into 1/2-inch dice
- In a 6-quart heavy kettle cook the onions in oil over moderate heat stirring, until softened. Peel and cut potato into 1/4-inch dice. To kettle add potato, garlic, and jalapeño and cook stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in flour, and cook over moderately low heat, stirring 2 minutes. Whisk in 2 cups broth and heavy cream and bring to a boil stirring.
- Add tomatoes, corn, Monterey Jack, parsley, chipotle, and chicken and simmer, stirring occasionally and adding enough of remaining cup of broth to thin soup to desired consistency, 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Season soup with salt and pepper.