Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is something my mother made for us when I was a kid. I have no idea where she got the recipe, nor why she called it Slum Gullion. I adapted it a bit. It's easy, easily adaptable and full of good stuff! I'm afraid it doesn't look beautiful, but you can't beat the goodness!
- 1 lb italian ground pork (or mix some fennel seed and sage into plain ground pork before browning)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 (12 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth (1 cup reserve)
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (frozen peas, green beans, chopped mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli)
- 2 tablespoons sage
- Brown the pork sausage and the chopped onion in a large pot. No need to add oil for frying.
- Add the carrots, celery and potatoes, and mushrooms. Sautee for 5 minutes.
- Add creamed corn, sage and 1 cup of broth. Simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add remaining vegetables and simmer until tender.
- Add more broth if mixture gets too thick.