Recipe by carmenskitchen
As a full-time working mom, I am always looking for really good recipes for my crock pot. I am always skeptical about slow-cooker recipes but this one is a winner. Again, I am always willing to go the extra mile with ingredients and preparation if I think it will be worth the effort. This one works well on a weekend or if you put it on during your lunch break since you cook it low for 4 hours only. I served this with a parmesan couscous tossed with diced artichoke hearts and lemony green beans topped with tomato and basil feta cheese. This one is company worthy, I was impressed and that doesn't come easily for me!
Top Review by Diaryofamadbathroom
This was easy and tasty. The hit of lemon at the end from the zest was very fresh tasting. I did not use all 12 garlic cloves as my cloves were very big, but even 6 healthy sized cloves gave a rich garlic flavor.
- 6 bone-in skin-on chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, chopped medium
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped course
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- lemon wedge, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in skillet over medium high heat and cook chicken in batches until browned on both sides then add to slow cooker.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in empty skillet. Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cook until softened, about 5 minute Stir in garlic and cook for 15 seconds. Stir in the wine, scraping up an brown bits. Simmer until the wine has reduced by half, about 5 minutes, then pour into slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, 1 1/2 cups of broth, thyme, oregano, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low until tender, about 4 hours.
- Transfer chicken to large serving dish and tent loosely with foil. Discard bay leaves. Set the cooker to high. Whisk the flour with the remaining 1/2 cup of broth until smooth, then stir into slow cooker until thickened, about 15-30 minutes. Stir in olives, parsley and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over chicken.