1/1 Photo of Slow-Cooker Chicken Provencal
As a full-time working mom, I am always looking for really good recipes for my crock pot. I am always skeptical about slow-cooker recipes but this one is a winner. Again, I am always willing to go the extra mile with ingredients and preparation if I think it will be worth the effort. This one works well on a weekend or if you put it on during your lunch break since you cook it low for 4 hours only. I served this with a parmesan couscous tossed with diced artichoke hearts and lemony green beans topped with tomato and basil feta cheese. This one is company worthy, I was impressed and that doesn't come easily for me!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 bone-in skin-on chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, chopped medium
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped course
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- lemon wedge, for serving
- 1Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in skillet over medium high heat and cook chicken in batches until browned on both sides then add to slow cooker.
- 2Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in empty skillet. Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cook until softened, about 5 minute Stir in garlic and cook for 15 seconds. Stir in the wine, scraping up an brown bits. Simmer until the wine has reduced by half, about 5 minutes, then pour into slow cooker.
- 3Add the tomatoes, 1 1/2 cups of broth, thyme, oregano, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low until tender, about 4 hours.
- 4Transfer chicken to large serving dish and tent loosely with foil. Discard bay leaves. Set the cooker to high. Whisk the flour with the remaining 1/2 cup of broth until smooth, then stir into slow cooker until thickened, about 15-30 minutes. Stir in olives, parsley and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over chicken.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Cooker Chicken Provencal
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.5
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 458.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 19.4 g