Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A unique blend of spices and cocoa powder turns into a rich and complex mole sauce after a long simmer in the slow cooker. Adapted from a recipe by Elaine05 at allrecipes.com.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low 5-6 hours until chicken is tender. Chicken may be served intact with sauce spooned over, or you may shred the chicken using two forks and stir into the sauce before using as a taco/tortilla filling, or as a dip for chips.
This was great and easy too -- just toss everything in the crockpot and let it do its thing! Served with tortillas and rice. Thanks for sharing!
I thought this was very good, except one thing. IT WAS REALLY SPICEY! I was wondering how much chili and adobo to put in, (I put in a whole 12 oz can), and when I looked at the recipe again to make a review, I noticed, "ONE CHILI", not one can. . . my mistake!
I did make a small change (other than too many chilies). I let everything cook for a while then I took the sauce out and put it in the blender for a more "traditional;" mole texture (at least based on the mole I've seen before).
I did enjoy this (at least as much as I could taste with so much heat), so I will give this another shot. I love that I can make this in my crock pot in very little time for me.
Loved this!!!!!! Easy too!