Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
You won't believe just how good these ribs really are. My family could have these ribs every week. They're great!
- 1 cup onion, diced (250ml)
- 1 cup carrot, diced (250ml)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (45ml)
- 3 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 cup beef broth (250ml)
- 1 cup red wine (250ml)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (45ml)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, diced and drained (796ml)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan set at medium high heat, saute the onions, carrots and garlic in one tablespoons (15ml) olive oil until soft.
- Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add remaining olive oil to the skillet and brown the ribs on both sides.
- Place the ribs in the slow cooker.
- Add the 1 can of plum tomatoes into the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, stir together the broth, wine, flour, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Pour into the hot skillet, stir to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom and then pour into the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 5 hours or until ribs are very tender.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.
We really enjoyed this simple, tasty dish! I have just bought a crock pot and am trying out recipes from this site. I used boneless short ribs and rosemary, instead of the thyme, because its what I had. The beef was soooo tender and yummy. The whole family enjoyed it with mashed potatoes. Oh, when I reheated leftovers a few days later, I added some frozen peas...excellent again. Thanks!!