Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I can remember my mom making us these for years. Then the stuff in the can came out and that was the rage - until we tried it. We begged her to never, ever buy that stuff again! Nothing fancy about this recipe - common ingredients found in just about every kitchen. *Warning: You may need a bib! ;)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, diced (to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- In large skillet, brown ground beef (use your choice of ground meat) stirring to break it up.
- Drain well, place onions (if desired) in skillet while your meat is draining and season lightly with salt & pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes stirring constantly and return the meat to the skillet. Continue to cook until onions are softened and tender. Season again with salt & pepper (to your tastes).
- Reduce heat, sprinkle meat with sugar, stir to distribute evenly throughout the dish. Add katsup, mustard and vinegar. Stir constantly. Cover with lid and let simmer over very low heat 10-15 minutes.
- Serve on hamburger buns with lots of dill pickles.
I have been looking for an easy sloppy joe that would take me back to my childhood, therefore I have tried nearly every single recipe on ZAAR. Well guess what? This is a grandslam. Thank you for posting. I will be making this over and over and hopefully passing it down to my grandkids. By the way, not that it matters but I am a cindyj too..:):):)