Recipe by kristinerosen
This is a great meatloaf recipe. The mushroom sauce is the best. I have doubled the recipe, split it and and will freeze the two loaves for future meals. I can defrost a meatloaf the night before to save a little time the next day. I got this recipe out of the Cuisine At Home magazine and is always asked for the recipe by friends.
Top Review by alohanoa
I saw this recipe in Cuisine at Home, and I tried it. I thought it was one of the better meat loaf recipes I've tried, although I did skip the mushroom sauce (picky eaters in my house). Maybe next time I'll try the mushroom sauce!
- 1⁄2 lb ground sirloin (85% lean)
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs or 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup onion, grated
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
Sweet and sour ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
Mushroom Sherry Sauce
- 1 strip bacon, diced
- 3 cups mixed mushrooms, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cold
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sherry wine vinegar or 1⁄2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F; coat a broiler pan with nonstick spray and line the bottom of the pan with foil for easy clean up.
- Combine the ground meats, crumbs, parsley, onion,egg whites, milk, Worcestershire, salt and pepper in a bowl, using your hands to mix. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, shaping it into a 9x5" loaf.
- Stir ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar together in a bowl, then spoon on top of the meatloaf. Bake until meatloaf reaches 160°F on an instant read thermometer, about 1 hour. Let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Mushroom Sherry Sauce:.
- Fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and return pan with drippings to the burner. Add mushrooms, shallots, and saute until mushrooms are browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and tomato paste; cook 1 minute.
- Deglaze with sherry and simmer until evaporated. Gradually add brother, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Finish sauce with reserved bacon, butter, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Serve with meatloaf.