Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I just made this for the first time last night and what a way to have steak! My DH has diverticulitis and loves steak, not good, but this was a great way for him to get his steak fix with out having an entire steak. Don't be put off by cooking steak in a skillet, it comes out so tender and the sauce compliments it sooo nicely. I used tarragon in place of thyme (all I had) and it came out mouthwatering...literally! I served with Sandi (from CA)'s Herb Infused Red Potatoes and a salad and was surprisingly stuffed! Hope you enjoy!
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb sirloin steak, 3/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish or 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Rub both sides of steak with salt and pepper.
- Melt 1/2 butter in a large skillet over high heat and brown steak 2 minute per side and transfer to plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and cook onion, mushrooms and thyme in remaining butter until liquid is released and mushrooms start to brown.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in milk, beef stock and horseradish (or mustard).
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Return steak and any accumulated juices to pan.
- Simmer steak for 5 minutes or to desired doneness.
- Let steak rest for 5 minutes.
- Season sauce with more salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Slice steak thinly across the grain and serve with sauce.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
WOW! This was fantastic! The sauce was wonderful and the beef was nice and tender. Thanks so much for posting your recipe :)
This was excellent! I went the mustard route and used fresh baby Bellas. Really easy to put together...you've got a winner! Thanks!!!
My husband really enjoyed this! The sauce turned out great. I simmered it a little longer than 5 minutes at the end. Thank you for making my hubby happy!