1/1 Photo of Skillet Steak With Mushroom Sauce
I just made this for the first time last night and what a way to have steak! My DH has diverticulitis and loves steak, not good, but this was a great way for him to get his steak fix with out having an entire steak. Don't be put off by cooking steak in a skillet, it comes out so tender and the sauce compliments it sooo nicely. I used tarragon in place of thyme (all I had) and it came out mouthwatering...literally! I served with Sandi (from CA)'s Herb Infused Red Potatoes and a salad and was surprisingly stuffed! Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb sirloin steak, 3/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish or 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 1Rub both sides of steak with salt and pepper.
- 2Melt 1/2 butter in a large skillet over high heat and brown steak 2 minute per side and transfer to plate.
- 3Reduce heat to medium-high and cook onion, mushrooms and thyme in remaining butter until liquid is released and mushrooms start to brown.
- 4Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- 5Gradually stir in milk, beef stock and horseradish (or mustard).
- 6Reduce heat and simmer, stirring for 5 minutes until thickened.
- 7Return steak and any accumulated juices to pan.
- 8Simmer steak for 5 minutes or to desired doneness.
- 9Let steak rest for 5 minutes.
- 10Season sauce with more salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- 11Slice steak thinly across the grain and serve with sauce.
- 12Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Steak With Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.5
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 127.2 mg
- Sodium 486.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 36.9 g