Try this recipe if you're looking for something quick and easy with great flavor. The pasta cooks right in the skillet so there's no need for extra pots. Don't make this without the sun-dried tomatoes because it will not have as much flavor. My DH recently told me that this is his favorite of the pasta dishes I cook. Recipe is from America's Test Kitchen.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage or 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, rinsed and chopped fine
- 8 ounces penne (can also use ziti) or 2 1⁄2 cups penne (can also use ziti)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (5 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. (Be sure to use at least a 12-inch size skillet to hold all ingredients.) Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Sprinkle the sun-dried tomatoes and penne evenly over the sausage. Pour the broth and milk over the pasta. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach a handful at a time and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. (It may seem like a lot of spinach, but it will wilt considerably.) Stir in the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: You can use Italian pork sausage, but you may have to spoon some of the fat off before adding the pasta.