Cheesy Penne Pasta and Smoked Sausage Casserole
- Ready In:
- 2 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- 14 ounces smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar French-fried onions, separated (I couldn't find cheddar, so I used regular and it was great)
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage in a skillet and drain. (I skipped this step since I was using fully cooked turkey smoked sausage and wouldn't have any fat to render).
- In a large bowl, combine milk and soup.
- Stir in 1/2 cup onions, 1/4 cup of each cheese, and sausage.
- Drain pasta and stir into sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Join The Conversation
This was very good. I did add more cheese as we like our macaroni and cheese, cheesier. I used dreamfields rotini pasta. My son said he would eat this everyday! Great comfort food and it came together fast, for a good quick evening meal. Served with a side salad. I was thinking of adding in some spinach, but thought I would try the real recipe first and add things later. Thanks for the recipe!