1/1 Photo of Skillet Peach Cobbler
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe comes from ATK and it is soooo good. It's not runny or super thick. Just right. Four pounds of frozen sliced peaches can be substituted for fresh; there is no need to defrost them. Start step 2 when the peaches are almost done.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (FILLING)
- 5 lbs peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface (TOPPING)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1For the filling: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Melt butter in large oven-safe nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 3Add two-thirds of peaches, sugar, and salt and cook, covered, until peaches release their juices, about 5 minutes.
- 4Remove lid and simmer until all liquid has evaporated and peaches begin to caramelize, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 5Add remaining peaches and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- 6Whisk lemon juice and cornstarch in small bowl, then stir into peach mixture.
- 7Cover skillet and set aside off heat.
- 8For the topping: Meanwhile, whisk flour, 5 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
- 9Stir in buttermilk and butter until dough forms.
- 10Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface and knead briefly until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- 11Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon.
- 12Break dough into rough 1-inch pieces and space them about 1/2 inch apart on top of hot peach mixture.
- 13Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake until topping is golden brown and filling is thickened, 18 to 22 minutes.
- 14Let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 15Serve. (Although best eaten the day it is made to maintain the texture of the cobbles, leftovers may be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Individual portions may be removed from skillet and reheated in microwave or in the oven.).
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Peach Cobbler
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.4
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 41.9 mg
- Sodium 323.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 58.5 g
- Protein 7.8 g