Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
The following curry is very simple and has become a family favourite,it does,t use any fancy spices and both my sons can make it from scratch!
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (I used Hot)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 lb frozen peas, thawed
- 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- Saute onions,ginger and garlic in melted butter til soft.
- Add potatoes.
- Sprinkle over curry powder,toss well.
- Stir in stock,bring to boil.
- Reduce heat,cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add peas,cook 5 minutes.
- Add coriander,wine vinegar and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat through.
- I serve this with Basmati rice,sliced banaas tossed in plain yogurt and chutney.
I was a bit skeptical about how this would taste due to the simplicity of just having curry but with the vinegar and lemon is was surprisingly good. I did add a pinch of cayenne for some heat as I didn't have hot curry.
Tastes just like the inside of a samosa - yum! And serving it with the banana/plain yogurt made for a delicious combo. Very easy, too. Will make it again! Served with bread and butter.
This was fantastic! I was in the mood for curry, and I had leftover saffron rice to use up, but didn't feel like going to the store for extra ingredients. What started as a "just use up what we have at home" dish has definitely become something that we'll be making again and again. I didn't have rice wine vinegar on hand, so I used all lemon juice instead and it was delicious! Thanks so much!