Massaman Potato Curry
- Ready In:
- 750 ml coconut milk
- 400 g potatoes, in chunks
- 50 g roasted peanuts, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons water
- 75 g brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 cloves
- 6 small red chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 inch gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- First make the paste. Crack the cardamom pods and remove the seeds. Dry fry the seeds with the cumin, cloves and coriander for 2 minutes Place these in a processor and grind, add all the other paste ingredients and process until they come together as a paste.
- Heat the coconut milk in a large pan and add 2 tbsp of the paste. Mix and heat until simmering.
- Turn down heat and add spuds to cook for 6 minutes.
- Add peanuts, onion, water sugar and salt, stir well until all ingredients are mixed and dissolved.
- Simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve with rice or naan bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was very good! Very much like what I get in restaurants. The batch I made was a bit too sweet though. The cardamom seemed to be a bit too present, and I halved the chilies, thinking it would be too spicy. That was a mistake! Next time I will use all 6 chilies, a bit less cardamom and maybe only one shallot. Its also worth noting that I used 3 Tbsp of the paste rather than 2.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Under construction... How I rate... 5 stars - perfect, will make again without any changes. 4 stars - Liked it, will make again again but with changes. 3 stars - had to make major changes but got it to work. 2 stars - had to make major changes and it didn't work. 1 star - went terribly, a waste of time and ingredients, I cried, BF cried the cats cried you get the picture...