Super Simple, Super Quick Chicken Curry and Rice
I had never made curry before but decided to give it a shot. I would call this recipe a medium-hot dish. I put in quite a bit of curry, but there is a lot of rice and chicken for it to cover. This recipe is for 1 person, but can be easily multiplied. If you use chicken stock for this recipe do not use the chicken base
- Ready In:
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 tablespoon chicken base and 1 cup hot water or 1 cup chicken stock, instead of water and base combination
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dark chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced onions (dehydrated) or 3 tablespoons onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Dissolve chicken base in hot water (skip this step if using stock).
- Pour dissolved base/stock in 2" deep pan.
- Add chicken to pan and place on medium-high heat.
- Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT rice.
- Cook chicken uncovered, stirring often to coat with spices.
- Remove chicken from heat and cover to keep warm. You will use the liquid from the pan in the next step.
- Add rice to separate pan and prepare as directed, BUT instead of using water to cook, add the drippings from the chicken pan. I usually get about 1/2 cup of drippings and then top that off with the water necessary to cook the rice. The rice I use needs 1 1/3 cup of water for 1/2 cup uncooked rice. This will yield 2 cups of cooked rice.
- When rice is finished cooking, spoon rice back into chicken pan and place on medium-high heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This is a good baseline for a simple curry. I added a splash of milk & 1 TBLSP of sour cream. I also added salt & pepper to taste. I kept the rice separate & treated it like a sauce. I had simmered for 20 minutes or so to reduce & turned out wonderful!! My kids & husband are asking for more. Will be doing it again.