Spicy Thai Peanut Chicken Curry
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 3 teaspoons sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- steamed cooked jasmine rice
- crushed peanuts
- In a medium saute pan saute peanut oil, red curry and sambal over med. heat for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook through.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar and peanut butter.
- Simmer about 10 minutes.
- Serve over steamed Jasmine rice.
- Top with fresh lime juice and crushed peanuts.
- Tip: If you are worried about the heat, just add half of the curry and sambal in the first step. Try it after everything has been added and if it's not spicy enough you can then add more curry. If then you want it more spicy you can add more sambal, the sambal is more spicy than the curry.
Join The Conversation
Amazing! I discovered this recipe back in 2012 and I’ve been making it ever since. As written, it’s a wonderful recipe that’s flavorful and easy. I always believe that a recipe should be reviewed as is before tweaking it. So that being said, here are all the changes I made after trying this already great recipe (to my preferences) added in an extra tbsp of the curry and sambal. After sautéing it I added garlic, onion, ginger, snow peas, and shiitake mushrooms. Used light coconut milk (makes it less rich) less fish sauce, and add sriracha. and along with the lime and peanuts I topped with green onions and cilantro! This recipe is even great with tofu. I’m making again with chicken thighs tomorrow. Thanks so much for the great recipe! It’s warm, spicy and creamy, and super easy to make!