Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
from cooking light, make this a part of your next indian themed dinner. serve this over basmati rice.
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins, chopped
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a small bowl. Add vinegar, stirring to form a paste; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons ginger and garlic; sauté for 20 seconds.
- Add spice paste; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and raisins. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add shrimp; cook for 4 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring occasionally.
- serve over basmaati rice.
I made this recipe, only changed it to "chicken vindaloo" as per Chia's instructions. It was wonderful and since DH doesn't eat seafood, this was my attempt at making an Indian dish that he would like. The only change was to use chicken in place of the shrimp. The combination of spices was superb. I would make this easy dish again. Thanks, Chia, for an easy and tasty meal! I think this can be easily made into a vegetarian dish, by subbing vegetarian broth and TVP chunks, and allowing them to marinate briefly in the sauce during step 3. This recipe has much potential. For a change, beef strips could possibly be subbed for the shrimp, and thus a "beef vindaloo" recipe could be made as well.
Definitely a quick, easy and healthy option for indian food, but by no means authentic. I didn't have cloves, and I omitted the raisins. I found it to be very liquidy- would've liked less gravy, i think. I also doubled the spice amounts. We liked it, and we will make it again.
Chia, you are one of my most favourite chefs. Absolutely love your quick and easy meals. I can't believe this recipe hasn't been reviewed yet, it's magnificant. I made exactally as written and was rewarded with an amazing quick and easy meal. And people pay money to buy take away!! Not in our house they don't ;)