This has “crunch, fresh and vibrant flavors, and heady herbal aromas”.
Make and share this Shrimp, Sweet Onion, and Roasted Red Pepper Pesto Pizza recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (12 inch) Boboli pizza crusts
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion, cut into thin wedges (Walla Walla or Vidalia)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, deribbed, and cut into long thin strips
- 2 cups coarsely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn into large pieces
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto (use 2/3 cup homemade or store-bought)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (16 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and blotted dry with paper towels
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 large fresh basil leaves, torn into large pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- To make the roasted red pepper pesto (this is optional but highly recommemded), process the garlic and salt in a food processor until garlic is minced.
- Add in the roasted red peppers, parmesan, basil, olive oil, sugar, and red pepper flakes; process until smooth; use immediately or transfer to a covered container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- To make the pizza: position an oven rack in the center of the oven and place a baking stone (if using one) on the rack; preheat oven to 500°.
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Remove the boboli crust from the plastic bag and save the packet of tomato sauce for another time.
- Place the pizza crust on a pizza screen, pizza pan, or rimless baking sheed, or on a pizza peel ready to slide directly onto the baking stone.
- Spread the pesto evenly over the pizza crust, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Scatter the onion and bell pepper over the sauce.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
- Scatter the basil over the cheese; place the shrimp in a single layer over the cheese.
- Place the pizza in the oven on the rack or stone; bake about 10-12 minutes, until the crust is crisp and a deep golden brown, and the shrimp are pink and slightly curled.
- Slice the pizza into wedges and serve immediately.