Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
This has “crunch, fresh and vibrant flavors, and heady herbal aromas”.
Make and share this Shrimp, Sweet Onion, and Roasted Red Pepper Pesto Pizza recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (12 inch) Boboli pizza crusts
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion, cut into thin wedges (Walla Walla or Vidalia)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, deribbed, and cut into long thin strips
- 2 cups coarsely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn into large pieces
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto (use 2/3 cup homemade or store-bought)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (16 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and blotted dry with paper towels
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 large fresh basil leaves, torn into large pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- To make the roasted red pepper pesto (this is optional but highly recommemded), process the garlic and salt in a food processor until garlic is minced.
- Add in the roasted red peppers, parmesan, basil, olive oil, sugar, and red pepper flakes; process until smooth; use immediately or transfer to a covered container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- To make the pizza: position an oven rack in the center of the oven and place a baking stone (if using one) on the rack; preheat oven to 500°.
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Remove the boboli crust from the plastic bag and save the packet of tomato sauce for another time.
- Place the pizza crust on a pizza screen, pizza pan, or rimless baking sheed, or on a pizza peel ready to slide directly onto the baking stone.
- Spread the pesto evenly over the pizza crust, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Scatter the onion and bell pepper over the sauce.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
- Scatter the basil over the cheese; place the shrimp in a single layer over the cheese.
- Place the pizza in the oven on the rack or stone; bake about 10-12 minutes, until the crust is crisp and a deep golden brown, and the shrimp are pink and slightly curled.
- Slice the pizza into wedges and serve immediately.
I had been looking for a good shrimp pizza and never found it... not in restaurants, not at home, every time I was disappointed... But this time I was astounded, this was by far the best shrimp pizza I ever tasted and my friends and family too. Amazing! Thanks!
This was great! We bought pepperoni pizza for the kids and made this "gourmet" pizza for ourselves. It was a winner! I'm allergic to tomatoes so I'm always looking for an alternative to tomato sauce and this fit the bill exactly. I think it would be great with rotisserie chicken also. Thanks for a great new pizza recipe!
Mmm delicious pizza. The colour of the whole thing is amazing. I found that on this pizza the less cheese used, the better.