Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This salad has the makings of an elegant meal and deserves to be included on a special celebration menu. The flavors of asparagus and shrimp flourish with the addition of a balsamic vinaigrette. Cook time is chill time.
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, pieces (not oil-packed)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces shrimp (fresh or frozen, peeled and deveined)
- 4 cups water
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 ounces asparagus, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 medium pears, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl pour boiling water over tomato pieces to cover; let stand for 2 minutes.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine tomato pieces, vinegar, the olive oil, basil, mustard, the 2 cloves garlic, sugar, and pepper.
- Cover and shake well.
- If desired, cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen.
- In a large saucepan bring the water and the 1 clove garlic to boiling; add asparagus. Return to boiling.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
- Add shrimp.
- Return to boiling.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 3 minutes more or until shrimp are opaque.
- Drain, discarding garlic.
- Rinse shrimp under cold running water; drain well.
- Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- To serve, divide greens and pears among 4 salad plates.
- Top each with some of the shrimp and asparagus.
- Shake dressing; drizzle each serving with about 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
Definitely a different combo of ingredients, but it somehow works. I think next time I will eliminate the pears and mustard. Will then add possibly pine nuts and some cheese. Thanks for a healthy dinner!
Lovely recipe! DH put a spanner in the works half way though this recipe by requesting hot shrimps and asparagus instead of cold since this was our main meal, so I changed things around slightly and pan fried the asparagus and shrimp just a few minutes in a wok with the garlic and a tablespoon of olive oil, then layered the salad greens, shrimp and asparagus, sundried tomatoes/vinegrette with the fresh basil on top. DH was bemused at the inclusion of the pears... and while they aren't his favourite, they dissappeared as quick as the rest of it :) I could only find sundried tomatoes WITH oil, as the supermarket doesn't always stock them, so used that oil instead of the olive oil stated for the vinegrette. YUM! I used 2 large garlic gloves and it certainly gave the vineagrette a kick, which as garlic lovers we liked. Please see my rating system: a wonderful 4 stars for a healthy meal that we enjoyed very much. Thanks!