1/3 Photos of Shrimp De Jonghe (Derek's Way)
I got the recipe from a cookbook years ago (I think it was a Betty Crocker Cookbook) and made several changes over time. This is how I make it today after years of perfecting the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon (dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1Peel and slice the garlic cloves. Melt half the butter in a large skillet. Add the shrimp and the garlic. Cook the shrimp until they start to turn pink on both sides. Don't worry if they're not completely cooked, they're going in the oven later. Remove the shrimp to about 6 or 8 small individual casserole dishes. Try to leave the garlic and butter in the pan.
- 2Add the rest of the butter to the pan you just cooked the shrimp in, and continue cooking until the butter is clarified and the garlic is browned.
- 3Strain the clarified garlic butter into a bowl or I use a 2 cup measuring cup. It makes it easy to pour.
- 4Mix 1/4 cup of the clarified butter with the bread crumbs and set aside.
- 5Add the remaining ingredients to the rest of the clarified butter. Stir and pour an even ammount into each shrimp dish. I try to stir as I pour to make sure every dish gets the same ammount of everything.
- 6Flake bread crumbs over shrimp. At this point they can be refrigerated and baked later.
- 7Bake 10-12 minutes at 400°F.
- 8Bread crumbs should be browned on top.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp De Jonghe (Derek's Way)
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.1
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 335.1 mg
- Sodium 900.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 35.1 g