Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 min
In '1,000 Mexican Recipes' by Marge Poore
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 jarred pickled jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (en escabeche)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large avocado, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Bring a medium pan of water to a boil; cut the shrimp crosswise into thirds.
- Drop the shrimp into the boiling water until they just turn pink, about 45 seconds.
- Drain immediately and cool under running water.
- Put the shrimp in a glass or stainless steel bowl.
- Add in tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper; stir.
- Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
- Shortly before serving, gently stir in the avocado and olive oil.
- Serve in small bowls or cocktail glasses.
This is a mild, yet tasty ceviche. I liked everything about it. So did my husband, in fact, he barely left me any.