Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
One of my best friends, Sharon, gave me this recipe. It is one of the best jambalaya recipes I have tried, and I make it quite often. If the andouille sausage is too spicy for you, you can always substitute 2 cups of cubed cooked ham.
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 8 ounces andouille sausages, sliced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion, celery, green bell pepper, and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add the next 9 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender, approximately 25 minutes.
- Add shrimp and parsley; simmer, uncovered, until shrimp are cooked, approximately 7-10 minutes.
What a great recipe!! The family really enjoyed it, and it was very easy to make. If you like more "heat", there is no difficulty to add to this. I made it with no changes to the recipe, and it was so tasty! I served it with sourdough wheat bread, and Hershey's Special Dark Picnic Cake for dessert. Thanks, Jackie, this is a keeper!
Perfect, easy, and attractive! The broth and seasonings are wonderful! Just the right amount of heat and we appreciate that it does not have crushed red pepper in it. I did sub ham for the sausage, omitted the green pepper, and used cooked shrimp b/c they had a great sale on it. We put the cooked shrimp in for 3 minutes. Thanks JackieOhNo! for posting a recipe I will definitely be making again. Made for PRMR game.
Delicious!! We loved this quick and easy jambalaya. The seasonings were perfect, I wouldn't change a thing. I used 12 oz. of Andouille sausage because that was the size package I had on hand and we love the stuff. My husband kept commenting on how good it tasted, so I knew it was a winner. Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe...it is definitely a keeper!!<br/>Made for ZWT 9 - Cajun/ Creole for The Apron String Travelers.