3 hrs 20 mins
mikey & ev's Note:
from Everyday Italian with Giada. She is so convincing that I'll love everything she makes! I hope to try this soon
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces chopped pancetta (about 1/2 cup) or 2 ounces bacon (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 1/2 lbs beef short ribs
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes (whole or diced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 lb tagliatelle pasta noodles (fresh or dried)
- 4 -6 teaspoons shaved bittersweet chocolate
- 1Place the olive oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium heat. Cook the pancetta until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour.
- 3Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta from the pan and set aside.
- 4Add the short ribs to the pan and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes total.
- 5Meanwhile, combine the onion, carrot, parsley and garlic in a food processor and blend until finely minced. Then add the tomatoes and tomato paste and pulse.
- 6Once the short ribs are browned, carefully add the mixture from the food processor to the pot.
- 7Return the pancetta to the pot and stir. Add the rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, beef broth, and wine.
- 8Bring the mixture to a boil.
- 9Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- 10Remove the lid and simmer for another hour and a half, stirring occasionally.
- 11Remove the meat and bones from the pot. Discard the bones.
- 12Shred the meat and return it to the pot.
- 13Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste.
- 14Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes for dried pasta and 2 to 3 minutes for fresh.
- 15Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta to the pot and stir to combine. Add the reserved pasta liquid 1/4 cup at a time, if needed, to moisten the pasta.
- 16Transfer to serving bowls, top each bowl with 1 teaspoon of chocolate shavings. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Short Ribs With Tagliatelle (And Chocolate!) Giada De Laurentiis
Serving Size: 1 (510 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1164.7
- Calories from Fat 712
- Total Fat 79.2 g
- Saturated Fat 31.6 g
- Cholesterol 207.7 mg
- Sodium 383.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 40.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: