Savory Braised Short Ribs
This is hearty comfort food. Serve with mashed potatoes, a veggie and good bread for sopping up the sauce. YUM!
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 4 lbs beef short ribs with bones, and cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 cup onion, Coarsely Chopped
- 1 cup water
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, Crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- horseradish sauce (recipe follows)
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 sprig parsley
- Brown short ribs well on all sides (about 30 minutes) in Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add broth, onion, 1 c water, peppercorns, worchstershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf and marjoram.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and cook slowly 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, prepare Horseradish Sauce.
- Place short ribs on serving platter and keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid.
- Combine flour with 1 /2 cup water, mixing until smooth; combine with cooking liquid, bring to a boil, stirring constantly, reduce heat and cook slowly 3 minutes.
- Strain, if necessary, and serve with short ribs.
- Garnish platter with tomato wedges and parsley.
- Serve Horseradish sauce with short ribs.
- HORSERADISH SAUCE.
- 1/4 Cup Dairy Sour Cream 1 T Prepared Mustard 2 1/2 T Prepared Horseradish 1/8 t Salt Combine sour cream, horseradish, mustard and salt in small bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation