Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is probably my number one casserole dish that I always make. It is also a nice easy one-dish meal since you have your protein, veggies, and grains all in one.
- 2 onions
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 lb hamburger, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed tomato soup (plus a can filled with water)
- Slice onions in the bottom of a baking dish. Add thinly sliced potatoes.
- Over potatoes spread hamburger. Next add uncooked rice. top with a layer of chopped celery.
- As each layer is added season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine soup with an equal amount of water and pour over all.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours at 350°F.
Great throw together meal, lacked a little flavor so we added some odds and ends but left out the onion because the DH wont eat it (sure fire reason for the lack of flavor in my book) But good all around
I doubled this recipe because I didn't think it would fit in a 13x9 casserole dish. I was mistaken. I also forgot to add the hamburger so I had to fry and add it afterwards. That being said it was ok. Some of the rice was still hard even after I checked after 1 hour and added an additional cup of water. I'm hoping that when I make it next week the hambuger grease will help keep my pan from burning so badly and fluff up that rice. I plan on making as written next week and see if things go better.
I have to give this 3 stars because we just "liked it." The family thought it was rather plain and bland. I liked it because you put it together and really don't have to touch it for another 2 hours. I would make it again, but definitely add some other seasonings or flavors into the mix. Maybe some garlic, cajun seasoning or something. Not quite sure; just know something was missing. Thanks anyway.