Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
In 'Vegan Fire and Spice' by Robin Robertson
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric or 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 ounces green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 lb small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or one 15.5 oz. can)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups quick-cooking couscous
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- harissa, sauce
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat; add in onions, garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric, and cayenne; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, sweet potato, carrots, and green beans; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to medium; cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in zucchini, chickpeas, tomatoes, and salt to taste; simmer another 10 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the peas and remove from the heat.
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil; add the couscous and raisins; cover, and remove from the heat.
- Let stand 10 minutes, then add parsley and fluff with a fork.
- Mound the couscous in the center of a large platter and surround with the vegetables.
- Serve the harissa sauce on the side.