Recipe by mewack
I haven't made these yet but I am excited to try it. Fish tacos are so delicious and I'd love to find a healthy recipe for the summer.
- 1⁄4 head green cabbage
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 dash ground red pepper (optional)
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless cod or 3⁄4 lb haddock, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 avocado, peeled and pit removed
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cilantro, cilantro
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄3 pineapple, very thinly sliced into 1 . 5-inch strips
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 6 white corn tortillas, 6 in
Directions See How It's Made
- Core the cabbage. Halve it lengthwise, then slice it very thinly into shreds. In a serving bowl, mix together the cabbage, vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper, if using. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In another large bowl, combine the fish, 1.5 tablespoons lime juice, and half the jalapeno. Season generously with salt. Stir in the oil. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a blender combine the avocado, garlic, remaining jalapeno, 0.5 tablespoon of the cilantro, 0.25 teaspoon salt, the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, canola oil, and water. Pulse the mixture until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add more lime juice or salt, if you like. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- In another serving bowl, sprinkle the tomatoes with a pinch of salt and of sugar.
- Place the pineapple in a serving bowl, the onion in another, and the remaining 1 tablespoon of cilantro in a third. Set aside.
- Drain the fish in a colander.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, cook the fish, stirring often, for 4 minutes or until it turns opaque. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fish to a serving bowl; keep warm.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Heat each tortilla for 10 seconds on a side. Wrap in foil to keep warm.
- At the table, spread about 3 spoonfuls of fish down the center of a tortilla. Sprinkle with onion, pineapple, tomatoes, cilantro, cabbage, and avocado sauce, and roll up the sides.