I haven't made these yet but I am excited to try it. Fish tacos are so delicious and I'd love to find a healthy recipe for the summer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 head green cabbage
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 dash ground red pepper (optional)
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless cod or 3/4 lb haddock, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pit removed
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, cilantro
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 pineapple, very thinly sliced into 1 . 5-inch strips
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 6 white corn tortillas, 6 in
- 1Core the cabbage. Halve it lengthwise, then slice it very thinly into shreds. In a serving bowl, mix together the cabbage, vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper, if using. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2In another large bowl, combine the fish, 1.5 tablespoons lime juice, and half the jalapeno. Season generously with salt. Stir in the oil. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3In a blender combine the avocado, garlic, remaining jalapeno, 0.5 tablespoon of the cilantro, 0.25 teaspoon salt, the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, canola oil, and water. Pulse the mixture until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add more lime juice or salt, if you like. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- 4In another serving bowl, sprinkle the tomatoes with a pinch of salt and of sugar.
- 5Place the pineapple in a serving bowl, the onion in another, and the remaining 1 tablespoon of cilantro in a third. Set aside.
- 6Drain the fish in a colander.
- 7Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, cook the fish, stirring often, for 4 minutes or until it turns opaque. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fish to a serving bowl; keep warm.
- 8Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Heat each tortilla for 10 seconds on a side. Wrap in foil to keep warm.
- 9At the table, spread about 3 spoonfuls of fish down the center of a tortilla. Sprinkle with onion, pineapple, tomatoes, cilantro, cabbage, and avocado sauce, and roll up the sides.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Self Fish Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (707 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 659.3
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 73.3 mg
- Sodium 1027.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 16.5 g
- Protein 38.5 g