Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Nothing fancy here, just an old family recipe.
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) box saltine crackers
- 1 lb margarine (not butter)
- Chop onion and sauté in 1 stick margarine until very soft.
- Drain and reserve margarine.
- Mix raw pork, ground round, cooked onion, 1/4 box finely crushed cracker crumbs, and 2 eggs. Form patties with 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoon meat.
- Crush another quarter box of the saltines into very fine crumbs, coat each meatball in the crumbs and gently flatten very slightly.
- Fry in reserved margarine, keeping margarine level in pan to at least 1/4 inch.
- Drain and enjoy.
Very Good. I did add a little olive oil to the meat mixture prior to shaping the balls. This produces a juicier meatball.
I liked this, the taste and texture was great and a bonus! It was easy to prepare. The kids liked it and it made me remember my grandma-it tasted like something she used to make when she was alive. Thank you for a great recipe!
My aunt made hamburgers very similar to this recipe and homemade gravy so I had wonderful memories to go along with these meatballs! I did add some black pepper to the meat mixture and also used the food processor to make the cracker crumbs. Thank you so much ElaineAnn for posting this recipe!