Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From epicurious.com. Posted for ZWT6.
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1⁄3 cup shelled fresh peas or 1⁄3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- -inch cauliflower floret
- 1 small boiling potato, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch dice, and reserved in a bowl of water
- 1⁄4 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 ounces fresh spinach, coarse stems discarded and the leaves washed well, spun dry, and chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 lb small shrimp, shelled, deveined if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill plus 2 dill sprigs (to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry, if desired
- In a large saucepan combine the carrot, the peas, the cauliflower, the potato, drained, and the green beans with 2 cups salted cold water and boil the mixture for 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the spinach and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl whisk together the half-and-half and the yolk, stir in 1 cup of the vegetable mixture, a little at a time, and stir the yolk mixture gradually back into the pan.
- Cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute, or until a thermometer registers 160°F (but do not let it boil).
- Add the shrimp and simmer the mixture for 1 minute, or until the shrimp are pink and just firm.
- Add the salt, the chopped dill, pepper to taste, and the Sherry, divide the soup between 2 large soup bowls, and garnish each serving with a dill sprig.