Recipe by Sue Lau
This turned out really well for me. Not too sweet with lots of flavor. Makes a perfect side dish for autumn meals. TNT
Top Review by ChoCho
Great recipe! Had white cabbage on hand and used butter instead of vegetable oil and it turned out really good. Would have never thought to put these ingredients together on my own. Thanks for posting!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins or 1⁄4 cup craisins
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee red cabbage, onion and garlic in oil until it just begins to wilt, several minutes.
- Add water, salt, pepper, and cinnamon and stir until mixture shrinks down into the pan.
- Add sliced sausage, raisins, pomegranate juice and pomegranate molasses and sugar,stirring well.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender and flavorful.
- Garnish with toasted nuts, if desired.