Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A fast and hearty meal that's terrific anytime of the day. The variations are only limited by your imagination.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet brown sausage until crumbly and medium brown in color.
- Stir as required.
- While sausage is browning peel potatoes and cut in to 1/2-inch cubes, chop onion and mince garlic.
- After browning, remove sausage from pan with a slotted spoon, add potatoes to pan and carefully brown them in the sausage fat.
- Remove potatoes from pan and add to reserved sausage.
- Add butter to pan (if required), once butter is melted add onion and cook until slightly brown and soft, add garlic and cook till aromatic.
- While onions are browning, light whisk eggs, half-and-half and sugar till slightly foamy.
- Return potatoes and sausage to pan, mix well with onion and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage/potato/onion, sprinkle on 1/2 the cheese and mix, sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Place pan in preheated oven; cook for 10 minutes and then lower heat to 350° and cook for an additional 10-20 minutes (depending on how you like your eggs). Keep an eye on the pan--if the cheese gets too brown, then cover with buttered aluminum foil.
- Serve with hot sauce and toast.
- Add mushrooms, green pepper, red pepper and sauté with the onions.
- Season the egg mix with hot sauce, replace half-and-half with yogurt.
- Cheese selections, I prefer a small amount of provolone and Parmesan mixed in the eggs with none on top--the wife likes cheddar on top and mixed inches.
Perfect! Just what I was looking for. I wanted something with potatoes instead of the usual cubed bread with eggs and sausage casserole. Will be great to reheat during the week for a quick breakfast. Omitted the sugar. Thanks!
Wow. Hard to believe that this hasn't been reviewed yet! I made this pretty much as directed, except that I nuked the potato and then peeled it. I used a 4-blend cheese and halved the recipe that fit nicely in my tapas skillet. I really enjoyed this simple breakfast. Thanks Steve_G for sharing. Made for My 3 Chefs.
Absolutely awful with the sugar!!!!! Leave the sugar out and this dish would be good