Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
To save some time you can make the cornbread well in advance, bake the cubes and freeze them until ready to use in the stuffing. Use this cornbread recipe as it is the perfect amount to make this stuffing and will gaurantee perfect results every time! For the cornbread a cast-iron 10-inch skillet is the best, but if you do not have one, the cornbread can be baked in a 9-inch baking dish with good results. I added in a can of sliced drained mushrooms to the casserole when I made it, but that is optional, also I have even made this using small breakfast pork sausages, instead of Italian sausages and it was still wonderful! Prep time does not include making the cornbread.
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 lb uncooked medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 lb dry smoked sausage, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed (or use fresh corn)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste, or use white salt to taste)
- black pepper
- To make the cornbread: Heat a well-greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet in a 450 degree oven for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir in the eggs with melted butter and buttermilk; mix JUST until moistened.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Cool the cornbread completely, then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Arrange the cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned; set aside or freeze until ready to use.
- For the stuffing casserole; butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish and set oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add in the chopped yellow onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic, celery and cumin; saute until the onions are tender.
- Add in uncooked shrimp and chopped smoked sausage, green onions and corn; cook stirring constantly until the shrimp begins to turn pink.
- Remove from heat (the shrimp will still be slightly raw!) add in cilantro, milk and eggs, then season with seasoned salt and black pepper.
- Fold in the cornbread cubes; toss lightly to combine.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
Made this up for my DD and her DH. Dave took 2 helpings for dinner, and the leftovers were his lunch the next day...nothing but raves. Next time I make it though I might reduce the jalepeno to 1/2 since it was a bit too spicy for my 10 yo DGS. Made for KK's Chefs Pick Tag, and will make this again it is really delicious either as a side or as a main dish.