Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Tastes kind of like a chocolate coconut cake.
Make and share this Sauerkraut Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup sauerkraut, well drained and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 6 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream margarine and sugar well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Add to the first mixture alternating with the cup of water.
- Add vanilla.
- When well mixed, add sauerkraut.
- Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit in desired pan.
- Mix ingredients well.
- Spread over cooled cake.
So nice to visit my childhood memories! My mom used to make this all of the time! She would just used a double boiler frosting instead of the cream cheese one, so I'm going to have to try it with the cream cheese! Thank you for the memories!
Delicious! This quick and easy cake was moist and flavorful. The sauerkraut gives this cake its moistness, and if you don't tell anybody what is in it, they will never know!! I used (2) 9" round cake pans and baked it for 30 mins. My family loved it and claimed it a "winner". Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper.