Don't wrinkle your nose at this one! The lemon and Tabasco sauce really brighten the flavor! It can be made with any combination of fish. Add potatoes for a heartier soup.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 -3 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1 cup tomato juice (substitute for both tomato and juice) or 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (substitute for both tomato and juice)
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups water
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- black pepper
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tilapia fillets, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Sauté the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent.
- Add carrots and celery; sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and green pepper; sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaf, thyme, tomatoes, tomato juice and stock or water. Simmer about 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Add hot pepper sauce, salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the lemon juice and fish. Simmer about 5 minutes until the fish is just cooked and flakes easily with a fork.
- ladle into bowls and top with fresh parsley. Serve with lemon wedges and more hot sauce. Wonderful with fresh, hot corn bread.