Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Don't wrinkle your nose at this one! The lemon and Tabasco sauce really brighten the flavor! It can be made with any combination of fish. Add potatoes for a heartier soup.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 -3 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup tomato juice (substitute for both tomato and juice) or 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (substitute for both tomato and juice)
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups water
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- black pepper
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tilapia fillets, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Sauté the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent.
- Add carrots and celery; sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and green pepper; sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaf, thyme, tomatoes, tomato juice and stock or water. Simmer about 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Add hot pepper sauce, salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the lemon juice and fish. Simmer about 5 minutes until the fish is just cooked and flakes easily with a fork.
- ladle into bowls and top with fresh parsley. Serve with lemon wedges and more hot sauce. Wonderful with fresh, hot corn bread.
This was so so good! I did want a heartier soup, but not the carbs, so I added a few cups of cauliflower and 2 cups of extra broth. I also skipped the oil and mostly boiled my vegetables to cut the fat. I used a can of diced tomaotes and also a cup of fresh diced yellow tomato. I added extra thyme, garlic, and some Cajun seasoning. Used 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice. DH loved adding the hot sauce to his bowl at the table. My modifications and extra veggies made 8 very generous servings.
This was so delicious and good! It was nice and hearty and I enjoyed every bit of it.
This very good. Thanks for sharing.