1 hr 30 mins
Wonderful grilled shrimp over a warm cabbage salad. A quick easy 1-2 hr marinade for the shrimp and then grilled. Pan grilled inside is fine, but if possible an outdoor grill is best. A quick saute of the salad dressing and tossed with the cabbage makes for a great salad base for this dish. I serve the grilled shrimp over the salad with fresh fruit on the side for a perfect family dinner. My son loves this, but he always asks for rice, so I make a jasmine or basmati rice with some scallions and cooked in broth and serve that on the side to make him happy. Special Note: I admit, I never liked recipes with ramen noodles, but this actually does work - It is a very good salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (olive oil is too strong for this dish)
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves (found in the jam and jelly section of your market)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 head napa cabbage, shredded (cut in ribbons)
- 4 scallions, rough chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 (4 ounce) can water chestnuts (I buy the small can pre-sliced and then just do a rough chop)
- 1 medium zucchini, lightly seeded and julienned
- 1 small onion, cut in half and thin sliced
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 (3 ounce) packages ramen noodles, crushed (seasoning packets not used)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (not olive oil)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon apricot preserves
- rice (Jasmine or basmati cooked in vegetable broth and garnished with scallions)
- 1Shrimp Marinade -- In a large baggie, add the oil, apricot preserves, dijon mustard, curry powder, and garlic and let marinade 1-2 hours. No longer. Thirty (30) minutes to me is the minimum for great flavor.
- 2Rice (Optional) -- My son likes rice with this dish, so that is an option, I enjoy the shrimp right over the salad. But if you want rice. Now is the time to make it. The shrimp and salad both take very little time to make.
- 3Salad -- Prepare your salad. Add the cabbage to a large bowl along with the scallions, water chestnuts, zucchini, and onions.
- 4Crunch -- In a small non-stick skillet, add 1 teaspoon butter and bring to medium/medium high heat. Add the almonds and ramen noodles and cook until golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Remove to a small plate lined with a paper towel to let cool a few minutes.
- 5Shrimp -- The shrimp is marinated and ready to grill. Use whatever method you like. I have grilled them both inside and also outside using my vegetable basket and they both work great. You can broil too. Salt and pepper well and then grill on medium high heat until the shrimp begin to curl and turn pink. Don't over cook, they will only take a couple of minutes per side. Two (2) minutes, flip two (2) more and they will be done, remove and cover with foil. Extra large or jumbo may take a few more minutes, but not much.As the shrimp cooks, make the dressing.
- 6Dressing -- In that same pan as you cooked those noodles and almonds in, add the oil, sugar, apricot preserves, vinegar and bring to a boil for just a minute no more. Remove from the heat and slowly add the soy sauce.
- 7Finish -- Add most of the dressing to the salad and toss well. Depending on the size of the cabbage and how much dressing you like, you may not use it all. You can easily save it for another night. Then add in the cooled almonds and ramen noodle mixture and toss again. Top the warm salad with the shrimp and serve on a platter family style.
- 8Option, as I said my son likes rice too with this and you can serve this right along the side which makes a great dinner.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sarasota's Curried Apricot Shrimp over Warm Cabbage Salad
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1034.7
- Calories from Fat 628
- Total Fat 69.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 217.3 mg
- Sodium 2397.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 25.3 g
- Protein 36.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: