Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a wonderful soup, Santa Fe style.
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or 2 teaspoons chopped garlic, from the jar
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken thigh, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 28 ounces tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth (or 4 cups prepared chicken buillion)
- green chili, in the amount you desire (frozen or fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon comino
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- green onion, chopped
- fresh cilantro stem
- cheddar cheese, grated
- sour cream
- chopped jalapeno
- Cook the onion and garlic in the oil.
- When the onion is translucent, throw in the chicken bits and cook until they are no longer pink.
- Add all but the green onions, cilantro, cheddar, jalepenos, and sour cream.
- Cook a minimum of one hour on low.
- This can be simmered all day.
- When you are ready to serve, put out small bowls of green onions, cilantro, cheddar, jalepenos, and sour cream and let everyone serve themselves.
- Best served with flour tortillas or tostada chips.