Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
French salad made traditionally with canned tuna. One of my favorites!
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed to a paste
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 1 lb of sushi grade tuna
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb new potato
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 lb haricot beans, steamed and blanched
- 1 head boston lettuce
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 cup nicoise olives, pitted or 1 cup kalamata olive
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- First make the salad dressing.
- Mix all ingredients together well, except the olive oil.
- Slowly stream in the olive oil while whisking to emulsify. An alternative way of doing this is to put all ingredients in a mason jar, screw the lid on and shake vigorously until everything is well blended.
- For the salad.
- Rub the tuna with olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- In a hot pan sear or grill the tuna for two minutes on each side.
- Transfer tuna to a cutting board and slice.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
- Boil the potatoes until cooked through; drain and allow to cool a bit.
- Transfer potatoes to a mixing bowl and drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette to fully moisten; toss gently; transfer to a plate.
- Repeat with the tomatoes, and then with the beans; transfer beans to a plate as well.
- Add to the same mixing bowl the lettuce, capers, and olives; toss with 2 or 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and transfer to the center of a large serving platter.
- Arrange the potatoes around the lettuce, then the tomatoes around the potatoes, then the beans, and then the eggs around the rim of the plate.
- Finally, lay the tuna slices attractively across the top.