Recipe by *Monica*
This is a family favorite. Sometimes I substitute chickpeas or other beans for the kidney beans. I suppose if you like ground beef, you could substitute ground beef for the kidney beans as well. If you love cheese, by all means, use more ... if I've got enough I do!
Top Review by Elizabeth B.
I took a lot of liberties with this recipe to accomodate what I had in my kitchen. I used polenta rather than cornmeal. I skipped the corn altogether and instead of shredded cheese I mixed about 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese into the polenta with a 1/4 cup of sour cream which was tasty. For my meat eater, I added a layer of pulled beef to one half of the casserole. And for the beans I used half kidney and half black beans. When I served this I added some shredded lettuce and a drizzle of sirachi sauce. It was pretty tasty. If you eat meat the shredded beef added good flavor and texture and I'm sure pulled pork would have worked just as well.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans
- salt and pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups corn
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute garlic, onion and green peppers in oil.
- Add cumin and chili. Cook for 2 minutues.
- Add flour. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and kidney beans. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes or longer. (Sometimes I'll simmer it for longer. The flavour is better the longer you simmer it.).
- While the tomato mixture is simmering, make the cornbread mixture.
- Mix together the eggs, mild and oil.
- Add the cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Mix.
- Add the corn. Mix.
- Grease/spray 9 x 13 pan.
- Pour 2/3 cup cornmeal mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese on top of the cornmeal mixture.
- Pour tomato mixture on top of cheese.
- Spoon the rest of the cornmeal mixture around the outer edges of the pan, on top of the tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese in the middle of the pan, on top of tomato mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.