Cauliflower Rye Casserole
Yeah, I know this looks a little odd, but it's really good. "Sundays at Moosewood" describes it as a baked cheese fondue...I suppose that's pretty accurate.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 cup beer
- 3 cups cubed rye bread (about 4 slices)
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- The beer needs to be flat for this recipe, so pour it out and let it sit for about an hour before you start cooking.
- Toast the bread cubes in one layer at 300 f until they're crisp. This will probably take 15 minutes.
- Saute the cauliflower and caraway seeds in the butter until barely tender.
- Combine bread cubes, cauliflower, and grated cheese, then spread in a greased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Blend remaining ingredients (including that beer) and pour over the cauliflower.
- Bake at 350 F for 30-45 minutes, until puffed up.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation