Recipe by Kerena
From Taste of the South Oct/Nov 2012 Magazine. Prep time is an estimate and includes pureeing time.
- 6 carrots, cut in half lengthwise (approx 3/4 lb)
- 3 medium zucchini, cut in half lenghtwise (approz 1 1/4 lbs)
- 8 plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise, and seeded (approx. 1 1/2 lbs)
- 4 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika, plus more for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut carrots and zucchini pieces in half crosswise.
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, oil, thyme, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper; toss well. Arrange veggies in an even layer on large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake, turning occasionally, until veggies are tender, 35-40 minutes. Let cool slightly. Remove peels from garlic cloves.
- In blender combine 1/3 of veggie mixture (including garlic and juices from baking sheet) and 1/3 of chicken broth. Process until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape the sides of the container. Pour pureed veggies into a large saucepan. Repeat this process twice with remaining veggies and chicken broth.
- Add remaining 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, half and half and paprika. Cook over medium heat until heated thoroughly, approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve with dollop of sour cream. Garnish with more smoked paprika if desied.