1/4 Photos of Roasted Tomato-Chipotle Salsa
Timothy J Higgins Eva's Note:
This is out of my Ball Canning cookbook.Not all markets stock cascabel chilies or chipotle chilies (which are dried, smoked jalapenos), but this unique salsa is so tasty it's well worth the extra shopping effort. You Will Need: 6 16 oz pint preserving jars with lids and band
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You Will Need:.
- 26 16 oz pint preserving jars with lids and band.
- 31.) TOAST chipotle and cascabel chilies in a large dry skillet, over medium heat, working in batches, about 30 seconds per side, until they release their aroma and are pliable. Transfer to a large glass or stainless steel bowl. When all chilies have been toasted, add 2 cups hot water. Weigh chilies down with a bowl or a weight to ensure they remain submerged, and soak until softened, about 15 minutes. Working in batches, transfer chilies and soaking liquid to a blender or a food processor fitted with a metal blade and purée until smooth. Set aside.
- 42.) Roast tomatillos, tomatoes, onions and garlic, under a broiler, in the meantime, turning to roast all sides, until tomatillos and tomatoes are blistered, blackened and softened, and onions and garlic are blackened in spots, about 15 minutes. Set onions and garlic aside until cool. Place tomatillos and tomatoes in paper bags. Secure openings and set aside until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Peel tomatoes, onions and garlic. Finely chop onion and garlic. Set aside.
- 53.) PUREE roasted tomatillos and tomatoes and reserved puréed chilies until smooth in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- 64.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- 75.) COMBINE tomatillo purée, roasted onion and garlic, vinegar, sugar and salt in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- 86.) LADLE hot salsa into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and re-measure headspace. If needed, add more salsa to meet recommended headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- 97.) PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato-Chipotle Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (2275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.9
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 402.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried cascabel chiles