1/5 Photos of Roasted Root Vegetables
1 hr 20 mins
Root vegetables (with the exception of potatoes and carrots) are some of the most overlooked and under appreciated food stuffs around. But these nutritional storehouses are hidden treasures worthy of your notice. Not only are they available in winter when other vegetables are hard to find, they are also very inexpensive. Experiment with turnips, rutabagas, beets and parsnips, and learn what they have to offer in taste and versatility. Rutabaga (also known as swede) is an accidental vegetable -- the result of a chance hybridization of turnips and cabbage. Like carrots, they're low in sodium and high in vitamin C. The flavor of all root vegetables will be enhanced by selecting fresh, firm produce (preferably organically grown) and storing it carefully. Turnips and potatoes should be stored in a cool, dark place out of the refrigerator. The rest of these roots will keep well in the refrigerator for at least a week. From Dr. Weil
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs root vegetables, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (use potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, beets)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1/3 inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- chopped fresh herb, like rosemary
- balsamic vinegar
- vinegar (optional)
- 1Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Place the root vegetables and onion in a roasting pan.
- 3Toss the vegetables with the olive oil and salt to taste.
- 4Do not crowd the vegetables.
- 5Roast the mixture for a total of 45-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- 6After 30 minutes, scatter the garlic cloves in with the vegetables.
- 7Continue stirring every 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender and evenly browned.
- 8Before serving, add a sprinkling of fresh chopped herbs or balsamic vinegar, if you like for additional flavor.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Root Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 50.5
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: