Peppered Salmon With Roasted Root Vegetables
photo by AZPARZYCH
- Ready In:
- 4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 small beets, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 skinless salmon fillets, 4-5 oz each
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper or 1 teaspoon ground pepper, blend
- 1⁄4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons water
- chopped green onion (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a roasting pan, combine carrots, beets, half the oil and half the salt. Roast, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. (My veggies weren't done until about 30 minutes because I like them crispier. You choose how crispy you like your veggies!) Transfer to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle salmon with the remaining salt and all of the pepper. If you like more pepper, feel free to add more! In a 12 inch skillet heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add salmon and cook for 3 minutes. Turn and cook for 3 minutes more or until fish flakes easily, which may take a little more time depending on your heat.
- Transfer the salmon to the platter with your vegetables. Add juice concentrate and 2 Tablespoons water to the skillet you used for the salmon. Simmer, uncovered, about 1 minute or until thickened. Spoon the sauce over salmon. Optional = sprinkle chopped green onions over everything.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love fish and have it often -average 4 times a week- so was delighted to make this recipe as it is a new twist for me with this sauce which I will certainly use again with other fish, yum! No beets available so I used carrots and sliced Brussels sprouts which worked very well. Went with smoked salt and a fairly good grind of pepper. So simple to put together! and a real treat. Thanks for this keeper LIG.
Very good with little prep/fuss! I had 3 very small beets so used them all and doubled the carrots. I also cooked my veggies for 30 minutes so they would be less raw and more roasted. I didn't put a ton of pepper on my salmon but seasoned it enough with s/p to give a good flavor. The orange juice sauce/glaze and green onions on top are a perfect addition! Made for Rookie Recipe Tag.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello! I have a wonderful husband and two fantastic kids. I love to read, have fun with family and friends, stay active with: running; soccer; golf; biking; hiking; and gardening. I love to travel. I'm looking forward to more international travel someday. Cooking has become a passion for me. I love to read cookbooks, watch the Food Network, and try new recipes. I have way too many cookbooks! A few of my favorites are: Barefoot Contessa (any - but especially 'Family Style'),Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals 2, Roasting by Barbara Kafka, Beyond Parsley & The Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook. I try to carefully choose recipes that I think my family will enjoy, which is why most of my ratings are 3-5 stars. Happy cooking!