1 hr 20 mins
This is probably my all time favorite recipe. It is extremely decadent and rich. A bit time consuming but it's worth it!! Adapted from Gourmet. Please use your favorite dough recipe or a prepared crust!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 3 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 large egg yolk (1/2 tablespoon)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated italian Fontina cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce)
- 1/4 cup crumbled mild soft goat cheese (about 1 ounce)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh herbs, such as rosemary,thyme,and marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fine fresh breadcrumb
- 1Using a prepared pie crust or your favorite crust recipe. On a lightly floured surface roll out dough into a 12-inch round (about 1/8 inch thick).
- 2Fit dough into an 11-inch tart pan with a removable fluted rim.
- 3Freeze shell 15 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 5Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights or raw rice.
- 6Bake shell in middle of oven until edge is pale golden, about 20 minutes.
- 7Carefully remove foil and weights or rice and bake shell 10 minutes more, or until bottom is golden.
- 8Leave oven on.
- 9Cool shell in pan on a rack.
- 10Halve squash and scoop out seeds.
- 11Lightly brush each cut side with about 1 teaspoon oil and on a baking sheet roast squash, cut sides down, in middle of oven 40 minutes, or until soft.
- 12While squash is roasting, thinly slice onion and in a heavy skillet cook in 1/2 tablespoon butter and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- 13Cool squash and scoop out flesh.
- 14In a food processor purée squash.
- 15Add whole egg, egg yolk, and cream and blend well.
- 16Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in cheeses, herbs, onion, salt, and pepper to taste.
- 17Pour filling into shell, smoothing top.
- 18In a small skillet melt remaining tablespoon butter and stir in bread crumbs until combined well.
- 19Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly over filling.
- 20Bake tart in middle of oven 40 minutes, or until filling is set.
- 21Cool tart in pan on rack 10 minutes and carefully remove rim.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Tart
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.1
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 454.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: