Rice Pudding With Raisins and Cinnamon (Arroz Con Leche)
- Ready In:
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 large lemon, cut into 6 - 2 x 1/2 inch strips lemon peel (yellow part only)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise in half
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- additional cinnamon stick (optional)
- Bring 2 cups water to boil in medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Add rice; let stand 15 minutes.
- Pour rice into strainer and drain, then rinse rice under cold running water until water runs clear.
- Bring 4 cups water to boil in large saucepan.
- Add rice, lemon peel strips, and salt and return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low cover and simmer until rice is almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and discard lemon peel.
- Combine 5 cups milk, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and 2 cinnamon sticks in large saucepan.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla beans; add beans.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil gently until mixture thickens and is reduced to 2 3/4 cups (45-50 minutes).
- Remove vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks.
- Stir in rice, raisins and sugar.
- Continue to cook on low; stirring until raisins are plump and flavors blend, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon pudding to bowls,.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and grated lemon peel.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks, if desired.
Join The Conversation
Galley Wench, I too had a boil over too changed pots no problem. This is very good quite rich rice pudding; and it is time consuming. I'm planning on serving the rice pudding with whipping creme I expect it will be very good ice cold that is the way we enjoy our rice pudding. I used very good vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks. Next time I think I will not cook down the milk down as much I liked the way it looked and tasted better in the beginning before cooking down to 2 2/3 cups of milk product. I also think I will use a slow cooker on low heat until the milk product comes to a simmer then put it on warm with the lid off to help it reduce without a boil over which scalds the milk and start early in the morning I think it will be ready to use around 2:00 or 3:00 PM in the afternoon and next time I will not cook my rice again only the first time using the lemons. The rice pudding goes into the refrigerator right now and will be all gone in a couple of days at coffee time with our neighbours thank you, for posting!
This was my first stab at making rice pudding and I was very pleased with the results. It took me about an hour and a half to boil down the milk mixture and at one point I wasn't paying attention to the mixture and had a boil over, but other than that it went well. I added some chopped walnuts. I also used 1 teaspoon of good quality vanilla extract and the next time I make this I will either double that or use vanilla beans like the recipe calls for. Thanks so much for the recipe! I reviewed this for ZWT5.
I'm not really a raisin lover, but I do love rice pudding and they taste excellent in this! I used real vanilla in place of the beans. It worked great. I don't think I would use the cheap stuff though, as it really has an impact on the flavor in this dessert. I dolloped some whipped cream on top and both my DH and I had this wonderful dessert! I don't think it will make 8 servings for us :) More like 4. Thank you for sharing!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside . . . Chardonnay in one hand . . .chocolate in the other; the body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"